Initiated in mid-2021, the Southeast Asian Coalition on Tech Accountability (SEACT) was founded in order to demand greater accountability from tech companies whose presence in the region have effects on human rights and democracy. Societies in Southeast Asia face common problems from the rise of authoritarianism where repressive regimes try to control tech companies, particularly social media companies, to social media companies’ own mistakes and failures such as overlooking problematic content, biased algorithms, and arbitrary censorship.
Currently, the coalition comprises the following 11 organizations:
- DigitalReach (Secretariat)
- Cambodia Center of Human Rights – CCHR (Cambodia)
- Cambodia Center for Independent Media – CCIM (Cambodia)
- Cambodian Journalists Alliance Association – CamboJA (Cambodia)
- The Institute of Policy Research and Advocacy – ELSAM (Indonesia)
- Center for Independent Journalism (Malaysia)
- Free Expression Myanmar – FEM (Myanmar)
- Foundations for Media Alternatives (Philippines)
- Singapore Internet Watch (Singapore)
- Internet Law Reform Dialogue – iLaw (Thailand)
- Viet Tan (Vietnam)
The launch event introduces SEACT to the public. All the members will be present to discuss problems with social media policies, features, and actions in their respective countries. This event includes a session examining the challenges of holding social media companies accountable in the context of Southeast Asia. This will be followed by an introduction of SEACT to help the participants understand how this coalition seeks to address the problems and challenges identified earlier.
Date & Time
November 30, 2021
1.00 p.m. – 2.30 p.m.
Yangon (GMT +6.30)
1.30 p.m. – 3.00 p.m.
Bangkok, Jakarta, Phnom Penh, Hanoi (GMT +7)
2.30 p.m. – 4.00 p.m.
Singapore, Manila, Kuala Lumpur (GMT +8)
1.30 – 1.35
1.35 – 2.15
Problems with Social Media on Human Rights and Democracy in Southeast Asia.
Member organizations provide insights about problems from social media on human rights and democracy in their respective country of focus.
2.15 – 2.30
Challenges for Tech Company Accountability in Southeast Asia.
Overview of why it is challenging to hold tech companies accountable in the Southeast Asian context.
2.30 – 2.40
Introduction The SEACT Coalition.
2.40 – 3.00