DigitalReach is looking for a short-term consultant to assist the “Digital Authoritarianism in Southeast Asia” report for 2021. This annual report summarizes the digital rights situation in Southeast Asia and covers a 12-months period from January – December. It highlights key issues, situations, and threats against digital rights, with a view to identifying situations to be monitored for potential consequences. The objective of the annual report is to provide an overall picture of developments on freedom of expression, right to privacy, and digital security from digital rights perspective in a given year. Following the completion of each report, there will be a launch event where representatives of local communities are invited to discuss about situations highlighted in the report and what to look forward to in the upcoming year. The report for 2021 shall include statistics, country chapters and a regional overview.
The consultant will work to assist in the making of the annual report on the following tasks;
- Collect information on situation related to digital rights in Southeast Asia in 2021.
- Highlight key digital rights-related issues in 8 countries in Southeast Asia to be written up into country chapters. These countries are Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam.
- Summarize the key events in 8 countries for the regional overview and create a timeline of the important events.
- Summarize key information into infographics that provide an overview of digital authoritarianism and highlight issues in Southeast Asia.
- Have at least a bachelor degree in political science or related fields
- Have proven research and written communication skills in English
- Demonstrable knowledge of human rights in Southeast Asia on topics such as freedom of expression and access to information, the right to privacy, and digital security.
|8 country compilations of material on key digital rights issues||The initial compilations shall be submitted by Week 5. These materials shall be continually updated while monitoring the situation until the end of the contract period, with the final compilation to be submitted at the end of the contract.|
|A compilation of materials on key digital rights issues for the regional overview and a timeline||The initial compilations shall be submitted by Week 6. These materials shall be continually updated while monitoring the situation until the end of the contract period, with the final compilation to be submitted at the end of the contract.|
|At least 5 ideas for infographics on key digital rights-related issues||The first draft of infographic ideas is expected to be submitted by Week 8, with appropriate changes proposed as the situation develops based on monitoring until the end of the contract.|